When you’re trying to get pregnant, it’s very important that both you and your partner are in the best health possible. In many cases, your body won’t be able to conceive if you are dealing with extensive stress or other health problems. Visiting a chiropractic clinic—such as Better Health Chiropractic in Juneau—is one of the best ways to improve your health and make it more likely to conceive, regardless of your gender. Chiropractors encourage a healthy lifestyle in general, and the adjustments and treatments they provide have benefits for your whole body.
If you’re struggling to conceive, it’s important to remember that you aren’t alone. People of all backgrounds and lifestyles struggle to conceive, even those who are typically thought of as being ‘healthy’. There are so many factors that can affect your ability to conceive that you might not normally consider.
Factors That Can Affect Your Ability To Conceive
- You’re stressed. We all experience stress in our lives, and a certain amount of stress is normal. However, extensive stress can make it very difficult for your body to reproduce normally. This is because stress affects many different aspects of our health, even when it doesn’t seem like a big deal.
- You’re getting older. Unfortunately, it’s easiest to conceive when we’re in our twenties - but we’re not always ready for kids during this time in our lives. As we get older, it can get much more difficult for our body to produce quality sperm or eggs. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can make a big difference if you’re trying to get pregnant past the age of 30.
- You have an irregular menstrual cycle and aren’t ovulating. In order to get pregnant, your body needs to release an egg at the appropriate time to be fertilized. If your period is unpredictable, it can make getting pregnant tricky. Luckily, there are many things you can do to regulate your period, like eating a healthy diet. You can also talk to your doctor about more intensive hormonal treatments to solve this problem.
- You drink or smoke excessively. Unfortunately, alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs can negatively affect your ability to get pregnant, and it can affect your partner’s ability to produce quality sperm as well. If you are even thinking about trying to get pregnant, you should attempt to quit these behaviors as soon as possible.
- You’re over or underweight. Having an unhealthy weight presents health challenges that can get in the way of conceiving, regardless of what end of the spectrum you are on. Luckily, this can be corrected in most cases by eating a healthy, nutritious diet and exercising an appropriate amount.
- You have a chronic condition that’s getting in the way. Two of the most common conditions that cause infertility in women are endometriosis and PCOS. Endometriosis is when uterine tissue grows outside the uterus, causing pain and blocking the reproductive system. PCOS is a syndrome that makes it very difficult for women to ovulate. If you’ve been trying for over a year to get pregnant and haven’t had any success, you should make sure to see a doctor to rule out these conditions, and get condition-specific treatment if you do have them.
Keep in mind that you’ll need medical tests to determine exactly why you aren’t conceiving. However, taking steps to live a healthier lifestyle can make a big difference in your body’s ability to have a baby.
Why The Chiropractor Can Help You Conceive
You might be surprised to hear that chiropractic care can help you to conceive a baby. Although your chiropractor can’t directly affect the conception process, they can influence it indirectly by improving your overall health. Here are some of the biggest benefits of chiropractic care for those who are trying to conceive.
- Chiropractic care reduces both physical and mental stress. This is hugely important for anyone trying to conceive, because stress can affect your hormones and limit the functioning of your reproductive system. Your body tends to focus on the functions that are vital to keeping you alive first when you are stressed, which means your reproductive system is less likely to be active. Chiropractic treatment helps your muscles to relax, and it can also be excellent for relieving mental and emotional stress after a long day as well.
- Another benefit of chiropractic care is that it can help your nervous system function much more efficiently. Chiropractic adjustments will ensure that your skeletal system does not pinch or otherwise interfere with your nerves, which can put excess stress on the body. Additionally, chiropractic care will ensure that the pelvis is properly aligned to mitigate stress on your reproductive organs.
- Chiropractic care can actually make it easier for your body to digest food and absorb helpful nutrients. When you are trying to conceive, it is very important that you give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs with a healthy diet. Your body needs to be nourished enough to support a developing fetus, and efficient digestion means you’ll reap better benefits from the foods you are eating.
- Chiropractic care can also make it easier for you to breathe, which in turn increases blood vessel dilation. When your respiratory and cardiovascular systems are functioning properly, it’s going to be much easier to conceive, because your body will be able to give your growing baby the air and blood supply that it needs.
- Chiropractic care prevents chronic pain and can actually improve your flexibility and range of movement. This will make it much easier to exercise, which is key for staying healthy and can therefore make it easier to conceive.
In addition to proper care from your OB/GYN and other primary doctors, seeing a chiropractor can help you conceive more easily. The healthier you are from a holistic perspective, the easier it is for your body to support a baby, and chiropractic care is part of that. Of course, if you are struggling to conceive or are having any unusual symptoms as part of the process, you should make sure to contact a doctor as soon as possible for further medical assistance.
Brent Wells is one of the founding doctors of Better Health Chiropractic in Juneau, Alaska. Originally from California, he holds a doctorate from Western States Chiropractic College in Oregon. He has worked as a chiropractor for over 20 years and is a member of the American Chiropractic Association.